13 October, 2012

Why senior players give up golf

It is common knowledge that a golfer loses distance with advancing age. He remembers that once upon a time he could hit them off the blue tees, 300 metres or more with the Maruman/Callaway driver. Now it flops and rolls reluctantly to 200M or even less! Previously for par 4 holes, he used a pitching wedge for his approach shots to the green and putted for birdies. He would par only when he missed his first putt. Those were the days remembered by many senior golfers.


For this very reason, many single handicappers hanged up their clubss and do not play this game any more. It is so sad. They cannot accept the fact that they are not young, any more. Their tee shots can no longer reach the 135M markers on par-4 holes. Golf has become a difficult game for them because they have not submitted their cards for 5 years! They are playing off a handicap that does not reflect their present physical ability at all. Their joints ached and they also can no longer [walk] the course, to play 18 holes, daily.

Personally I expect to continue playing this exciting game into my 80's or more. There is no good reason for me to stop playing golf, especially when my home course at St. Andrews, Hamilton is air-conditioned! (yesterday's temp was 16 C Max). In Malaysia where I first took up golf many years ago, it was always 32 C, humidity level >65% Playing a round was like taking a sauna bath. We changed T-shirts after playing a few holes. That was the reason why I stopped playing the game and took up dinghy sailing instead. At least I could cool off now and then by doing a capsize drill. Come to think of it, I have been sailing even longer than I have been playing golf!

No comments:

Post a Comment