28 August, 2006

Golf set

The game of golf is played with 14 clubs. The longest one, the one wood (on the left) is called a driver (10 to 12 degree face). It is used for starting the game on par 4 and 5 holes. The shortest one, the putter (90 degree face) is used on the green for rolling the ball into the hole. The 12 other clubs are used for hitting the ball to fixed distances (shaft length) and heights ( face angle) from the fairway or rough. The idea is to hit the ball exactly the same way for each of these 12 clubs and let the club decide the distance and the height of the trajectory. I find that using 80% power works best for me.
I carry three special utility clubs in my bag: a rescue/hybrid club (iron/wood), a 9 wood (replacing the 3 iron) and a 60 degree lobe wedge for pitching the ball from the rough around the greens.
If I use just 5 clubs (driver, 4-iron, 8-iron, lobe-wedge and putter) I can usually play under 100 strokes for 18 holes. The other 9 clubs allow me to refine my strategy and to cut 6 to 8 strokes from my score.

No comments:

Post a Comment