17 May, 2007

Golf anomaly


When a right handed golfer holds a driver with his right hand lower on the grip than his left hand, his  right shoulder will naturally be lower than his left shoulder during his set up and address position. To start with, his shoulder is uneven and not level. The ball he hits with this club will naturally bend towards the right (a slice). Is it possible to hit a straight ball with this lope sided set up?

When I started going to the driving range a few years ago, I produced a slice every time for a whole year. Then I had this bright idea. If I learned to draw the ball to the left I would get rid of this horrible slice. For two years I tried to draw the ball to the left. I failed...
However it was not completely a failure because even though I failed to bend the ball to the left it was no longer going to the right! I have succeeded where most other golfers have failed to do. I can hit the ball straight down the middle of the fairway every time! That was when I decided finally to stop going to the driving range and started to play some real golf on a golf course!

I had a big surprise waiting for me there. In September 2005 for my first round of golf at the Narrows I scored 126 strokes against my Taiwanese partner’s 86. The reason was simple. I was a ball hitter and he was a golfer! My iron shots were non existent and I, three putted too many holes! Since that day, 18 months ago, I have played 153 rounds of golf and practiced chipping at a nearby park. My irons caught up with my driver and my putting is coming along just fine because I am starting to learn to read the breaks on the green. I am no longer a ball hitter. My handicap today is 14. Yesterday’s round, I scored 90 (+4).

Another golf anomaly is this incorrect golf tip:
If you wish to hit the ball further, hit harder!
Other golfers suggest using less power; just the opposite!

This is not obvious for beginners or non golfers. If more power is used, it is more probable that the club will not hit the ball at the sweet spot (centre). It will fly, but veering left or right into the bush, hit a tree and stop in mid flight. Whereas a ball hit with less force has more chance to fly down the middle of the fairways where there are no trees. After landing, It will continue to roll on and on....therefore goes further. Simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment